Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Dealing With Rejection Step 7

Last week I blogged about rejection. We all face it. No matter the stage in our journey.

Little did I know however, that waiting in my inbox was a whopper of a rejection. And it stung. Bad. It was one of those make you want to go back to bed and curl up under the covers kind of rejections.

But then I started getting comments on my post. My friend Matthew MacNish had an amazing concept that made me feel so much better. He is blogging about it today. Be sure to check it out!

Oh and then later in the day I opened a message from my amazing crit partner Lindsay to find this:

Cupcakes help with everything, just in case you didn't already know!

So what does all of this have to do with rejection?

Let me introduce you to step 7:

Rely on your support system. My family is amazing. They always encourage me to keep going and not to give up. But there is something about leaning on your fellow writers that really helps with things (like rejection) that other non-writerly folk might not understand. I received the best advice and encouragement last week and this week I am diving headfirst back into my WIP. And the feedback I received I can look at now and recognize how helpful it is going to be!

Have a great Monday everyone! (I am so trying to put a positive spin on the fact that it's Monday!)

8 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I hear you, Renee. Apparently, we're sharing the same pothole. I've had so many encouraging leads, lately, then have one bad critique or rejection and I feel like you...want to curl up and make it all go away. That's were I am today. Thank you for sharing this. I'll go visit Matt, too.

Abby Fowers said...

Sorry to hear about the totally killer rejection. Sometimes I think they just want something to complain about. Remember this is all subjective. I can't wait to check out that other post and I am loving #7. Thanks for sharing this today. I hate rejection, but we know it's going to happen. Hang in there. :)

LTM said...

YES! I can't tell you how many times my bloggie friends have propped me back up when I got the proverbial kick in the guts rejection. Girl, I thought I was IN only to find out I'd been dealing w/an assistant... who was then leaving for another job.

UGH!

It happens. But you gotta just keep swimming. This is a field where the ones who hang in there the longest make it~ ((hugs)) Pass the cupcakes. :o)

Jemi Fraser said...

Cupcakes do help with ... pretty much everything. Even those sucky rejections. Writers are the best support group ever - so many great people. Off to check Matt's place... :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great tip. Family and friends can help. So sorry you got that rejection. They do hurt. But I know you're awesome and an awesome writer.

I loved Matt's comment too.

Unknown said...

Rejection is so hard... as is the silence that comes with querying. It's an ugly world out there filled with rejection. One day we'll get there. We just have to keep pushing -- even when we feel down and out.

Lydia Kang said...

I love what he wrote: "Subjection."

It's so very true. Hugs and hope you keep going...don't let the subjections keep you from getting to your goals.

Anonymous said...

Rejections. check
Cupcakes. check
Great family. check
Like your blog. check check