Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Perfect Writing World...

Some of the best advice I have ever heard for writers is this:

1. Get your very own writing space. Eliminate every distraction.
2. Write. A lot. Set a goal for each day.
3. Read as much as you can in your own genre.

At first I laughed. Then I felt like crying because most new writers still have another job, kids and no writing space. Finally I got realistic. I can do this. I do this. Everyday.

So before I examined my actual situation I thought I'd have a little fun. If I could hand mold my day to day writing world, this is a glimpse at what it would look like:

My job would be my writing. Nothing more, nothing less. I would write. A lot. At least ten pages per day. Around 2,000 words would be my goal. Some days I would write more, but never less.

I would have my very own writing sanctuary. Something like this...


On days I was stuck, I would write with my pretty purple pens.

On days I was not, I would use my pretty, pretty laptop. (Sadly mine looks nothing like this.)


I would go into this room, with my beautiful writing tools, close the door and shut the rest of the world out until my daily goal was met.

I would be able to blast my play-list without others commanding I turn it down or that they hate my music choices.

I would have time to put a dent in my out of control TBR pile. I could read and read and read because my writing would be done early in the morning, leaving plenty of time to read before the kids come home from school.

But alas...this is a dream. Maybe a goal. But it's a pretty good one I must say. So what does your sanctuary look like? Stay tuned tomorrow for a glance at what my days really look like. I will warn you, its not pretty...but we love what we do right?

22 comments:

kelsey said...

Wonderful dream writing space! I love the purple pens and laptop.

Chris Phillips said...

Nice room! I'm lucky to have a pretty nice room in the basement for my writing/drawing laboratory chalk full of all our k-state stuff.

Janet Johnson said...

Ah, I could get used to your perfect writing world. And I LOVE the purple pens!

Lindsay said...

Ooh, I'd like to live in that perfect writing world. I want to write in pretty purple pens. :)

Unknown said...

I love that room, it looks so relaxing. I helped my husband to build our full brick house in the country. My husband let me draw the plans, and unbeknown to him, I added an office for myself.

Teehee. He thought it was to be a dining room. Silly man. But when he realised, he bought me a new computer, after all, I had been his labourer, gofer, secretary, cook and beer buddy for the two years it took to complete the house.

Now, I can shut myself in there and write, read and watch movies I want to see. Ah, bliss.

Oh, I love the crimson wallpaper. My in-laws had one like that in their bedroom. Unfortunately, the little fibreglass fibres kept coming off and making them cough and they got my husband an me to scrape it all off. It had only been up for a few weeks too.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

if you get this - can I come write with you! :) thx for stopping by.

Melissa said...

I totally love your writing space! It is absolutely gorgeous! It may just be a dream but it is a well thought out one and that is the first step in making something a reality right? Visualization is key!

Heather Hellmann said...

That room makes me drool. Right now I write in a room that has a kitty litter box. Some day...

Liz P said...

Ah yes, still dreaming of that perfect writing space myself... and writing all day, every day...

Natalie Aguirre said...

I have to laugh because I write at my dining room table we never eat on or at my office at work during part of my lunch hour when I get one. And like you I work full time. Can't wait to see tomorrow's post. I can totally relate.

Sondrae Bennett said...

That would be so nice, wouldn't it. I write at the kitchen counter, lol. Or at Panera (I need a certain level of background noise). But I would love to have that room!

Jessica Nelson said...

Ooooh, I would ADORE a purple laptop!
No sanctuary here. I write on my couch. :-)
I think your perfect day pretty much resembles what every writer wants. LOL
Thanks for commenting on my blog today!

Jess said...

My sanctuary is the right side of our family couch, which is the only spot in the room that my laptop cord will stretch to. I've got big plans for a comfy chair by a fireside hearth though...just have to buy the stone farmhouse first :)

Lisa Galek said...

This is every writer's dream, isn't it? I did get a fabulous new computer for myself when I decided to get "serious" about writing (mostly because my old laptop was dying).

Now, if only I could buy some extra time!

Unknown said...

I keep those amazing dreams just incase they ever come true. After that I give myself goals, the reachable kind. It works. Then when I'm down, I dream.

About your dream office ;)

Laura S. said...

Someday you'll get the tranquil writing space and pretty writing things! Meanwhile, keep up with those writing goals you can attain right now. And dream away!

Candyland said...

That sounds like my writing daydream. But in reality, I'm stuck trying to find the time between a 4yo, work, and life. Not so glamorous.

Golden Eagle said...

That sounds nice . . . :)

Colene Murphy said...

Beautiful!! I want that space too! I would kill to be able to fix my office up into this perfect writing space.

Lydia Kang said...

That would such an incredible writing space! For now, I write everywhere! Right now I'm halfway falling off my bed.
;)

BK Mattingly said...

I am in love with that writing space. It's so nice and the windows...gorgeous!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a little piece of paradise! I'm all for those purple pens and laptop too :)